Sunday 11 May 2014

Reflections

Overall there isn't much that I would change. The thing that pleased me most was the way that everything went like clockwork. It was all down to 2 years in the preparation and a great 6 months final build up.


The Body..

I was amazed at the body's power of recovery. I had read about the legs 'normalising into a routine'....for me day's 5 and 6 were the most difficult, long and hilly, my legs were really throbbing....then, day 7 was to my surprise very much easy and routine.

Then there was the calf injury on day 30, that was worrying and I was limping. I was expecting to struggle the rest of the way but again it gradually got better....even without a rest and with the continual high mileage.

For the 3 days after finishing I was so tired. During the walk I wasn't tired at all. The mind had kept the body going until it knew that it was time to shutdown and recover.


The Daily Mileage

The original plan was to set myself a difficult but achievable target.

I was looking to complete in 40 days. This changed to accommodate Sue walking the Great Glen Way with me, and the difficulty getting B&B's in the right places on the West Highland Way. So 43 days it was.

I think that I pitched it about right. In my own mind I definitely could have completed in less time but then I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

I also think that it was the correct decision not having any days off. My body just got into a great routine. It worked for me.


The Rucksack

This was a big concern.

Again I got it about right. I would have struggled with a heavier pack. The weight started the day at 19 lbs but was down to 15 when the food and water had gone.

The weight was crucial and with more research I think that I could have reduced by a couple of pounds. Ultra Lightweight Packing is the way to go.


The Route...

For England the worst bit was in and out of Birmingham...it was however important for me to pop into Wragge's.

I was happy diverting across at Hebdon Bridge....Widdop Moor, The Forest of Bowland and The Eden Valley were lovely surprises.

The first section in Scotland from Gretna to Glasgow was pretty but the road was straight and monotonous and I would probably change that.

I would also look to not using the A9 north of Inverness. This was probably the worst bit, very nice to be by the sea but awful having heavy lorry's hurtling past.



It was a truly great adventure.

The diversity of landscape, the people I have met, the weather was kind, no midgies, the blog was fun to do, I could go on and on!

It was an escape, don't get me wrong as I have a great life anyway, but it was something totally different. To really explore the body's capabilities. To get away from TV and news. To not know or care what day of the week it is.

'Everybody should have a Journey'.

3 comments:

  1. I am left wanting more...I get that the walk was a huge physica feat, and it is interesting to read "how your body held up" and "how you managed your pack", but I was hoping for some philisophical insights into yourself and your life (because I thought that afte having all that time alone and surrounded ny incredible natural beauty, your mind would move towards refelctions on your own life and who you are. But maybe that is too personal to blog about publicly, and if that is the case I do respect that.
    I remain as always a huge fan and devoted sister. Thankful for you. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can find a song for most occasions Bob, this one being from Tommy by the Who... The Amazing Journey. Yours was a truly amazing journey, and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoroughly enjoyed your blog Bob. Your advice on Tilley underpants and vaseline were such a help while I walked the Great Glen Way last week. My longest day was 19 miles on the last day. How you managed 25 to 30 miles per day for six weeks I will never know. "Respect" as the youngsters say.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.