Monday 20 January 2014

The time has finally come for me to 'walk the walk'. The route has been plotted, the B and B's booked........the big adventure lies ahead.

The idea of walking from Lands End to John O Groats has been with me for many years. My good friend Ed Jones (fire service days) completed the walk in 2010 and that rekindled the interest. This year sees a 'significant' birthday which was the final push. I feel grateful that I am fit enough (hopefully!) and have the opportunity.

I am starting on Sunday 23rd of March and will take 6 weeks. The distance will be around about 1000 miles.

Incredibly the record for the fastest walk was done by Malcolm Barnish of the Royal Artillery in June 1986 who took just 12 days, 3 hours and 45 minutes. For you cyclists the record is 1 day and 21 hours.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bob, I wanted to be the first to wish you well on your walk from Lands End to John O Groats.
    It's taken lots of planning and forethought but the time is almost upon you now to take that first step down in Cornwall.
    B&B's are all booked, maps are at the ready, and a constant supply of flapjack, malt loaf, and fruit cake await to be eaten and enjoyed.
    I'm so proud of you doing this and wish I could have walked the whole way with you, but I am doing my little bit with you along the Great Glen Way.
    So here's to the 23rd of March. Sue.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.